Day 9 of Miami Dolphins coaching camp featured interceptions from two younger defensive backs attempting to forge their place within the league, an up and down day from Tua Tagovailoa and excellence from Jaylen Waddle.
Here’s what occurred at Saturday’s follow:
STARS OF THE DAY
He made a handful of catches for important beneficial properties, together with a 65-yard catch-and-run from Tagovailoa for a landing. That go to Waddle coated 25 air yards, with Waddle then getting down area, previous pursuing defenders. And Waddle ended follow with a 10-yard TD go from Tagovailoa.
Waddle has had an excellent camp, benefitting from the tinted contact lenses that McDaniel prompt he put on. In the receiver room, honorable point out to Erik Ezukanma, who had one other good day.
▪ Teddy Bridgewater:
The backup quarterback had an excellent follow for the second day in a row, finishing passes of 15 yards or extra to Tyreek Hill, Waddle, River Cracraft and Raheem Mostert. He additionally made an amazing deep go to Braylon Sanders, who dropped it. Bridgewater hasn’t thrown an interception in a number of days.
And an honorable point out to Skylar Thompson, who threw his first camp interception however delivered a number of large throws for lengthy beneficial properties.
▪ The run protection:
The defensive position and linebackers held a minimum of a half dozen runs to minimal beneficial properties. Andree Van Ginkel, Duke Riley, Christian Wilkins, Melvin Ingram and Zach Sieler all had notable stops.
▪ Noah Igbinoghene and Verone McKinley:
The younger defenders every had interceptions, on Tagovailoa and Skylar Thompson, respectively.
PLAYS OF THE DAY
▪ McKinley, the undrafted rookie from Oregon, dived for an interception of Thompson, the primary interception in coaching camp for each gamers.
▪ Tua Tagovailoa, Bridgewater and Thompson all dropped passes right into a web from 45 yards away, delighting the group. Tagovailoa pumped his fist, and the group erupted, after the second time he hit the online. Bridgewater additionally achieved the feat twice.
▪ Rookie tight finish Tanner Conner, a large receiver at Idaho State, made an extended catch from Thompson. Conner has had three lengthy completions over the previous three practices. He’s making a powerful case to make the follow squad.
▪ Igbinoghene acquired a great break on go from Tagovailoa and intercepted it as he dove to the bottom, with the go supposed for Waddle. (Igbinoghene additionally stopped a working play for no achieve.)
▪ Ezukanma jumped to catch a 45-yard TD go from Skylar Thompson, beating Tino Ellis. The rookie makes use of his 6-2 measurement and energy to persistently make contested catches.
▪ Center Connor Williams continued to have some issue with snapping. None of his snaps have been outrageously dangerous in camp, however as soon as once more, a number of had been a bit excessive.
▪ Tagovailoa overthrew a number of passes, together with one to Waddle (with Jevon Holland in protection) and one other to Cedrick Wilson Jr. He additionally underthrew Hill.
Tagovailoa was 1 for 4 within the first set of 11 on 11 drills, with Chase Edmonds catching the one completion.
Then he threw the decide to Igbinoghene within the second set of 11 of 11s and failed to attach with Hill on an extended downfield go with double protection.
And Xavien Howard broke up a Tagovailoa go on a 3rd down.
On the optimistic facet, Tagovailoa made two lovely throws to Waddle for sizable beneficial properties, with each passes touring 20 to 30 yards within the air. Tagovailoa thread the needle on a kind of throws. Then he ended follow with a 10-yard throw to Waddle in the long run zone; the go was deflected however Waddle caught it.
▪ Though Thompson threw his first interception of recreation, he was excellent in any other case, finishing passes of 20-plus yards to Waddle, Connor (for an extended achieve) and two passes to Ezukanma, who jumped over Tino Ellis to tug one and scored on a 45-yard landing on the opposite.
▪ Hill had a large achieve on a working play. Waddle had a modest achieve on a working play.
▪ Christian Wilkins wore the orange jersey, which means coaches honored him as the very best performer at Thursday’s follow. The participant within the orange jersey will get to choose the music performed at follow.
▪ Chase Edmonds fumbled early in follow and Holland recovered. Holland was the takeaway machine at Oregon, and that ability has translated to the NFL.
▪ Linebacker Andrew Van Ginkel – in competitors with Melvin Ingram – has had an excellent camp, with a minimum of 4 sacks. He flushed Bridgewater out of the pocket with extra stress on Saturday.
▪ Cornerback Trill Williams, in competitors with Igbinoghene for the No. 4 cornerback job, had good protection on Hill on a deep throw from Tagovailoa.
▪ Cornerback Byron Jones (ankle/Achilles), middle Michael Deiter (foot), security Clayton Fejedelem (undisclosed damage), Sheldrick Redwine (undisclosed damage) and punter Thomas Morstead (undisclosed damage) weren’t noticed at follow.
▪ Running again Sony Michel, linebacker Ingram, working again Raheem Mostert and fullback Alec Ingold participated in elements of follow. They’re on upkeep applications within the wake of earlier accidents or surgical procedures.
Barry Jackson has written for the Miami Herald since 1986 and has written the Florida Sports Buzz column since 2002.