RENTON — A cornerback place that already loomed as one of many Seahawks’ greatest query marks heading into the season is barely rising extra unsure as the primary preseason sport approaches Saturday at Pittsburgh with every of the gamers who’ve spent most of camp because the starters — Sidney Jones IV and Artie Burns — coping with accidents.
Jones, who started camp beginning at left cornerback, has been out since Wednesday whereas coping with a concussion. And Burns, who has been one of many surprises of camp because the starter at proper nook, left observe early Tuesday after struggling a groin harm whereas in protection on a one-on-one drill.
John Reid additionally stays out with a groin harm whereas Tre Brown is on the bodily unable to carry out checklist whereas nonetheless recovering from knee surgical procedure final November with no ETA on his return.
Those absences meant that the beginning corners for many of observe Tuesday had been a pair of rookies — fourth-round decide Coby Bryant and fifth-rounder Tariq Woolen.
Head coach Pete Carroll mentioned he didn’t have any particular phrase on how lengthy Burns is likely to be out however he indicated Jones might return quickly, saying “I need to hear more in the next few days to see what’s going on.” Still that would imply neither is out there for the Steelers sport.
Carroll, in the meantime, mentioned Brown — who emerged as a starter as a rookie halfway via final season earlier than being injured — is making progress however that “it’s still going to be some time” earlier than he returns.
So for now, the rookie pairing of Woolen and Bryant determine to be the starters. Woolen began the mock sport with Jones out and virtually had one interception and had a deflection of a move on what turned out to be a landing. He has been a standout all through camp.
“Tariq has been really, really impressive in that he’s been so consistent against our fastest guys,” Carroll mentioned.
Bryant has additionally impressed.
But considerably curiously he was used fairly a bit at nickel on Tuesday for the primary time in camp behind starter Justin Coleman with Michael Jackson and undrafted free agent rookie Elijah Jones of Oregon State taking some turns with the starters at exterior cornerback.
Carroll mentioned utilizing Bryant, who was the Jim Thorpe Award winner final 12 months at Cincinnati, within the slot has been a thought all alongside.
“There might be some opportunities for him to do more things and be more available to make plays,” Carroll mentioned.
But that call was made earlier than Burns’ harm. Carroll mentioned the crew’s sudden depth points there might imply “I don’t know if we’ll be able to enjoy him being in there” however referred to as it “a really interesting experiment for us.”
Marquise Blair and Ugo Amadi have additionally been enjoying nickel, and Carroll mentioned the transfer of Bryant to the slot gained’t influence their use.
“It doesn’t mean anything to those guys right now,” Carroll mentioned. “He’s just barely scratching the surface you know? So he’s not threatening to take anybody’s spot at this point.”
Rookie tackles grade out effectively
Second-year participant Jake Curhan bought all of the reps with the beginning offense at proper deal with Tuesday with rookie Abraham Lucas again with the second crew. Lucas took all of the reps with the starters within the mock sport Saturday. But the 2 stay in competitors for the beginning job with Carroll saying Lucas and fellow rookie Charles Cross — who has taken each snap because the starter at left deal with all through camp — carried out effectively Saturday.
“They made progress,” Carroll mentioned. “We had a couple of missed assignments that had nothing to do with the physical ability. So that’s not something to take away from both guys. (They) held up well in the run in the passing game. And we rushed on them hard. We sent our best guys at them. They had a lot of speed to look at. So it was it was a good first outing.”
- The Seahawks bought good news on the standing of defensive lineman L.J. Collier, who left Saturday’s sport with an elbow harm. Carroll mentioned the elbow is sprained however that he might solely miss a couple of days and “he might be able to get back this week. We’ll see.”
- Middle linebacker Jordyn Brooks stays out with a hamstring problem. But Carroll mentioned he’s near returning and has been taking all of the snaps in walk-throughs.
- Receiver Dee Eskridge stays sidelined with a hamstring harm. Carroll mentioned he’s “getting really close” to returning however that he’s nonetheless unable to run at full pace.
- Carroll mentioned rookie edge rusher Tyreke Smith, who sat out Tuesday, has an harm to his different hip and it’s unclear when he shall be again. Smith is a fifth-round pick of Ohio State.
- Richard Sherman talked with Carroll and a few gamers and staffers on the sphere earlier than Saturday’s sport. Carroll mentioned “it was really good to talk with Sherman” who has signed to be a part of Amazon Prime Video’s “Thursday Night Football” protection for this season. Carroll mentioned he deliberate to speak to Sherman once more this week about what he noticed Saturday saying with a smile that he considers any of the crew’s former gamers as “consultants.” Added Carroll: “It’s great to see him going into the business that he’s going into. He’s gonna be great. I think he is going to be phenomenal.”