CHICAGO (CBS) — Lifted by the surge in on-line procuring throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, scammers are rampantly benefiting from digital buyers.
The new annual Scam Tracker report from the Better Business Bureau of Chicago and Northern Illinois reveals on-line buy scams nonetheless dominate the No. 1 place for the second yr in a row. Phishing scams, principally associated to on-line procuring, moved as much as the second-most widespread rip-off reported domestically.
READ MORE: Investigation Shows 6-Year-Old Damari Perry Died Of Hypothermia, Body Was Burned After He Died
CBS 2 Morning Insider Lauren Victory has reported on crooks capitalizing on vacation buyers on-line.
As extra folks earn a living from home, employment scams have been ranked No. 3 for the second yr in a row.
CBS 2 Investigator Dorothy Tucker has reported on fake job posts, dug into these scams and came upon who’s being focused and why.
READ MORE: Former Cubs Pitcher Jon Lester Announces Retirement
Steve J. Bernas, president and CEO of BBB of Chicago and Northern Illinois says, “Scammers have been notorious for taking advantage of any current events and news, and unfortunately, the pandemic has been no exception. This has been an opportunity for fraudsters to prey on people’s emotions and the huge increases in remote working and online shopping.”
Top 10 Scams of 2021:
1. Online Purchase – (#1 for second yr in a row – most frequently faux web sites – usually Pets)
2. Phishing Scams – (Clicking on rip-off hyperlinks can result in malware — imposter scams)
3. Employment – (Scam job presents – usually earn a living from home)
4. Counterfeit Products (Clothing, electronics, sneakers, purses, and so forth.)
5. Fake Invoice/Supplier Bill (Sent to companies who typically pay with out checking)
6. Identity Theft
7. Sweepstakes and Lottery Scams (new)
8. Debt Collections
9. Tech Support Scams (new)
10. Cryptocurrency (new)
MORE NEWS: CPS Students Back In Classrooms As Chicago Teachers Union Set To Vote On Tentative COVID-19 Safety Agreement
BBB urges anybody encountering a rip-off, whether or not they lose cash or not, to report it to the BBB Scamtracker.